1. In addition to writing books, I have worked at Sesame Workshop for the last 21 years. My favorite Muppets are Bert—because I identify with his neurotic personality—and Cookie Monster—because, well, guess!
2. If I weren’t an author, I’d want to be a wildlife photographer. Although I have to admit I might not be brave enough.
3. I was impeached in third grade. I was a class officer and had to go on trial with another class officer for cutting in line (my memory tells me my fellow officer wanted to get to the lunch room extra quickly because she had a flute lesson afterward). We were NOT removed from office, but I was so traumatized that I never again ran for office of any kind.
4. In 7th grade, because my friends and I didn’t like our teacher at all, we used to make up books for our oral book reports. My favorite was The by Zachary Westerly. The teacher never caught on (there was no Internet then). I don’t advise doing this!
5. When I was in fourth grade, I really wanted to take trumpet lessons. My orthodontist said no to all woodwind and brass instruments, though. I ended up with the cello, and eventually gave it up because I hated lugging around something so big.